DESIGN & PRODUCTION INTERN
ABOUT BEEN LONDON
Named ‘one of the most innovative fashion companies in the world’ by British Vogue, and one of the top purpose-led organisations to work at in 2023 by Escape the City, BEEN London is a multi award-winning accessories brand constantly pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in fashion. We are a small team of designers and impact innovators based in East London. All our products are made from materials that would otherwise be discarded, diverting waste from landfill, pioneering the use of new innovative recycled materials, and resulting in lower CO2 emissions compared to fast fashion equivalents.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small but fast-growing team. You will use your creative and analytical skills to assist across both the design and production of BEEN London’s core collection, as well as special projects. Agility, initiative and the ability to adapt to the needs of a busy, innovative studio are essential. The internship will provide the individual with skills and insight into the full design, product development and production processes of a small luxury accessories brand, as well as a greater understanding of sustainable materials and zero waste pattern cutting.
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of bag construction, making/mocking up skills and ability to work on paper patterns. With strong organisational skills and be proficient in Adobe, with emphasis on Illustrator and Photoshop for technical drawing and colour ups, rang plan lay-outs and general design admin. The candidate will also have strong analytical skills, with a knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and general computer literacy. An interest in learning the processes necessary to manufacture small batch production is essential.
This is a 2-4 days a week role based in London
Duration: 6-12 months
DESIGN/PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Seasonal competitor analysis
- Seasonal trend analysis
- Design research: details, shapes, branding, techniques and packaging
- Build and maintain the design board with sketches and swatches
- Management of seasonal design folders: 1st spec through to final proto
- Management of the material library
- Paper pattern development and toiling of internal mock ups
- Creation of proto packs for factories (including printed specs, toiles and raw materials)
- Colour ups of seasonal range plans across all bags and SLGs for core collection and collaborations/ special projects
- Proficient in Adobe illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- Management of digital specs, including the recording of measurements and product imagery
- Digital record keeping of samples in and out of the business, including product photography
- Record taking of measurements and fit notes during weekly product meetings
- Labelling of all internal Design and Production samples
- Management of colour ups in all digital Production files
- Duplication of Production BOMs for colour variants
- Pick and pack of bulk raw materials
- Raw material stock take
- Production quality control
- Creation of all department shipping labels, tracking of shipments, packing and printing of shipment labels
- Running of samples and materials to suppliers, factories and other partners based in London
- Keeping the Studio tidy and in good working order
- Assisting with packing and shipping of customer orders
Send your application to Brittannie James to email@example.com with the subject line “[Your Name] / Design and Production Intern application” and:
- Tell us about yourself and why you want this role
- Attach your CV and/or link us to a LinkedIn profile or online portfolio.
The closing date for the role is midnight on Sunday 12th November 2023 although we will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis – so get your application in early.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.